Monday, February 5, 2007

Take a Walk With Me

Listening to Janet Cardiff is an interesting experience. She has a wonderful voice that is pleasant to hear. Even sitting in a chair, no where near Whitechaple, you can imagine everything that she is talking about, and because I wasn't in London when I listened to this piece, I feel like I had more freedom to see what I wanted and to hear what I wanted. The problem with this is that it meant that I may not have seen what Cardiff was pointing at in her piece.
What I liked about her piece was the feeling she evoked by playing with sound. By whispering so close, it seemed as if the voice hadn't come from the headphones, but from someplace inside my own head. The male voice that whispers about a man meeting us on the path by the stairs made me jump. The male voice made me so afraid by the end of the piece. I was convinced something bad was going to happen in the forest when she dropped her flashlight. I also was fascinated with how she used sound and sound depth to make it seem like the band was coming closer to us or the water gets closer than farther, then closer again. There were also several instances where she whispers something in the background, and it almost seems like subliminal messeging. When she tells us to close our eyes and listen to the band, there is a whisper of "trust me" that I didn't catch the first time. In the radio piece, it's mentioned that the background melts into the real background, so that the listener doesn't know what is real and what is not. I really can understand this, because I listened to this piece for the first time while walking across campus. I looked up and couldn't figure out why there were so many birds, until I realized that it was on Cardiff's piece.
I would really like to go on this walk someday.

No comments: